Skip to main content

Full text of "ED_000552B_00067789_0_6ac47973-be99-4caf-80c0-0b3ad905708d"

See other formats

To:  Spence,  SandrafSpence. Sandra@epa.gov]

Cc:  Wall,  Dan[wall. dan@epa.gov];  Hermann,  Karl[Hermann. Karl@epa.gov];  Pierce,

Maggie[Pierce. Maggie@epa.gov];  Laidlaw,  Tina[Laidlaw. Tina@epa.gov];  McComb,
Martin[McComb. Martin@epa.gov];  Keteles,  Kristen[Keteles. Kristen@epa.gov]

From:  Myers,  Craig

Sent:  Wed  8/19/2015  12:47:12  AM

Subject:  Re:  Cement  Creek/Animas  Color

Please  copy  Kristin  on  this  topic  as  well.  Thx.

Sent  from  my  iPhone

On  Aug  18,  2015,  at  5:44  PM,  Spence,  Sandra  <Spence.Sandra@epa.gov>  wrote:

Hi  Craig,

Dan  and  I have  spent  a good  portion  of  the  day  discussing  and  considering  causes  of  the
green  color  you  are  seeing  in  the  upper  Animas/Cement  creek.  I suspected  that  you  may  be
seeing  a shifting  of  valence  states  and  iron  chemistries  in  the  system  causing  changes  in
color.  Generally,  the  reduced  form  of  iron  (Fe+2  as  a sulfate)  is  bluish/green  chalky  in
solution.  Aluminum  forms  a white  precipitate  that  can  appear  chalky.  Also,  copper  can
form  sulfates/carbonates  that  appear  bright  blue/green.  So,  these  metals  could  be  involved.

I looked  at  the  iron  data  collected  in  Cement  Creek  and  Animas  at  two  sites  (I  need  to  look
at  more  and  will  do  that  tomorrow).  However,  it  appears  that  there  are  fluctuations
occurring  between  dissolved  (likely  reduced)  iron  and  particulate  (likely  oxidized)  iron  and
there  are  times  when  the  dissolved  iron  (blue/green  in  color)  is  significantly  greater  than  the
particulate  iron  (orange  in  color).  So,  I believe  it  is  quite  feasible  that  the  color  you  are
seeing  is  a result  of  iron/metals  chemistry.  More  data  analysis  will  occur  tomorrow.  The
sample/analysis  we  have  planned  will  measure  the  oxidation  state  of  iron;  so,  we  can  speak
more  directly  to  this  when  we  can  get  samples  collected  and  data  back.

We  considered  the  possibility  of  a tracer  study  occurring  in  the  watershed  that  is  creating
the  color.  So,  we’ve  included  a sample/analysis  for  fluorescein  in  our  request.  To  determine
if  the  color  is  due  to  an  algae  bloom,  we  plan  to  measure  chlorophyll  a,  which  is  a direct
algal  indicator,  as  well  as  nutrient  levels.  So,  that’s  all  I have  for  you  right  now.

Note  the  photo  below  and  caption  below  it.  This  photo  and  caption  are  from  a document
entitled,  “Easter  Pennsylvania  Coalition  for  Abandoned  Mine  Reclamation.”  Maybe  the
color  will  look  familiar  to  you  - it’s  due  to  iron/aluminum.

1786406

ED  000552B  00067789-00001

Hope  all  is  well  and  feel  free  to  call  me  on  my  cell  if  you  need  more  information,

-Sandie

Sandra  Spence

Chief,  Water  Quality  Unit

Ecosystems  Protection  Program